Freelance Level Designer – Action RPG (m/f/d)
Deep Silver FISHLABS
For more than 15 years Deep Silver FISHLABS has been creating compelling games that have been brought to life on millions of screens across the globe. We joined the Deep Silver / Koch Media family in late 2013 and, since then, we have continuously raised the quality bar. Today, we are one of four internal development studios run by our parent company, alongside Deep Silver Volition in the US, Deep Silver Dambuster Studio in the UK and Warhorse Studios in the Czech Republic.
We specialize in high-end 3D games for consoles and PC. With a strong development history and award-winning portfolio of mobile games; such as blockbuster space-action shooter Galaxy on Fire: Manticore and the tactical zombie brawler Dead Island: Survivors; we are currently developing thrilling titles for the PS4, Xbox One, PC and Nintendo Switch.
We’re looking for an experienced Freelance Level Designer to reinforce our team and help us ship a badass co-operative Action RPG title built in Unreal Engine 4.
Make layouts and implement content for both bespoke and generated systems-driven missions to create a challenging and highly replayable co-op experience.
Do you love to craft believable yet challenging missions and worlds? Would you like to work in a tight-knit and highly experienced team on a AAA title? If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty and don’t shy away from a bit of gore, we’d love to have you on board!
What you’ll be doing
- Whitebox gameplay areas that facilitate a variety of combat and mission scenarios
- Configure, test and tweak mission parameters, locations and objective placements to create fun and challenging gameplay
- Iterate on layouts to improve player pathfinding and mission flow
- Set up and iterate on enemy spawns and areas
- Populate the levels with a variety of obstacles and hazards for the player to navigate
- Make sure levels comply with technical requirements
- Communicate your own designs and ideas to the rest of the team
- Excellent understanding of level design fundamentals: learning curves, means of player direction, difficulty levels, balancing, pacing, motivation and reward cycles, accessibility, etc.
- Minimum of one shipped game in which you contributed significantly to the level design – First Person Shooter or Action/Combat Gameplay
- Excellent understanding of 3D game space and pacing
- Professional working experience with UE4
- Console/PC development experience
- Good level of written/spoken English
- Excellent written and verbal communication and documentation skills, plus the ability to convey abstract concepts
- Knowledge of Unreal Blueprints
- Experience with mission and/or level design for co-op gameplay
- Experience with realistic-style set-dressing / level art
The studio is located in a bright, modern office, right in the center of Hamburg. With a selection of benefits for all our staff: Including discounted gym membership, fresh fruit and a variety of free drinks. A healthy work-life balance is important to you? For us too! That’s why we are also awarded as a family-friendly workplace. Coming from abroad? No problem! We also offer relocation packages.
Sounds good? Take a look here: www.dsfishlabs.com
Get In Touch!
If you have any further documents which you think might be worth sharing to underline your background and talents, we are happy to receive them as well. If you have questions regarding the application just drop us an e-mail at email@example.com. An application via our online tool is preferred.
- HR Manager
- Lena Behring
- +49 40 - 888 800 0